View Issue Details
|ID||Project||Category||View Status||Date Submitted||Last Update|
|0000401||file||General||public||2022-11-01 21:46||2023-03-02 21:17|
|Summary||0000401: Mime type is doubled for an mp3|
|Description||5.41 is returning `audio/mpegaudio/mpeg` as the mime type for an mp3 file|
This seems very similar to https://bugs.astron.com/view.php?id=259 but that is listed as fixed in 5.41
conorom@2379591511:~/Downloads$ file -v
magic file from /usr/share/file/magic
conorom@2379591511:~/Downloads$ file --mime-type EnglishAudioRecording.mp3
|Steps To Reproduce||Run the commands above.|
The mp3 file in question is available here if needed (warning: ~320MB):
|Additional Information||Expected type is `audio/mpeg`|
|Tags||No tags attached.|
||I can't reproduce it with 5.43, can you?|
I did try to test this on 5.43 before finalizing the ticket... honest!
Began following the build instructions (it's https://github.com/pld-linux/file right?) but gave up at the first sign of a problem.
I'm on Apple silicon with my daily driver and snowed under with other work so pursuing that further before creating the issue seemed like too much for me to handle.
But I'm definitely happy for you to close this if it seems like a non-issue in the latest 5.43 release.
Really appreciate you taking a look!
||No it is https://github.com/file/file; try building that. I have a mac too, and it builds just fine.|
Sorry it took me so long to get back to this. I built 5.43 yesterday and could not reproduce the problem. I then built 5.41 and couldn't reproduce it.
I cannot get it to happen again with the system version either, which is still 5.41.
When I wrote the issue I'd noticed the problem on *two* out-of-the-box macOS Monterey 12.6 machines, one Intel and one Apple silicon (not that it matters).
Now I only have the M2 MacBook to hand, since updated to Ventura and now sitting on 13.2.1
Without really understanding how this utility works I can see that everything in /usr/share/file has been updated somehow on Feb 9th, as has /usr/bin/file
So does this mean that, even though the system file utility reports the same version it did when I encountered the problem (5.41), somehow a buggy component has been fixed by the update to Ventura, or one of the subsequent system updates? I think it must, though no exact update matches the time the files were touched Feb 9th when I look in System Information > Software > Installations.
For now I'm happy to close this issue and say that the problem was a bug unique to macOS Monterey somehow.
||I've closed it, thanks. I don't know what apple changed or didn't change, sorry.|
|2022-11-01 21:46||conoromalley||New Issue|
|2022-11-06 18:20||christos||Assigned To||=> christos|
|2022-11-06 18:20||christos||Status||new => assigned|
|2022-11-06 18:20||christos||Status||assigned => feedback|
|2022-11-06 18:20||christos||Note Added: 0003858|
|2022-11-07 15:59||conoromalley||Note Added: 0003861|
|2022-11-07 15:59||conoromalley||Status||feedback => assigned|
|2022-11-07 16:10||christos||Note Added: 0003862|
|2023-03-02 21:15||conoromalley||Note Added: 0003899|
|2023-03-02 21:17||christos||Status||assigned => closed|
|2023-03-02 21:17||christos||Resolution||open => fixed|
|2023-03-02 21:17||christos||Note Added: 0003900|